Thursday, July 28, 2016

Makeup Primers for Extremely Oily/Rough Skin

Let's start with a short history of my skin. I've had trouble skin since the early 2000s. I'd say that any given day during my teens, I'd have at least 2 active pimples on my face. My skin cleared up when I reached my 20s. After a few good years of acne-free skin, I've since dealt with the wreckage - gigantic pores, pits, scars, dark spots and general roughness. It also doesn't help that I have veeeery oily skin, so any foundation/powder combination that covers all my secrets would start to melt into goo in a matter of 4 hours. The only stuff that worked was Revlon Colorstay foundation. But even with that foundation (it promises 24 hours of no-melt coverage) my initially flawless makeup would still look muddy after 6-8 hours of wear.

Why must gorgeousness be so short-lived for the oily-skinned?
I'll discuss the foundations and powders and setting sprays I've tried in a separate post. For now, I'll review the foundation primers I've tried so far.

What are primers? Makeup primers are essentially similar to paint primers - and here's what paint primers are, according to google:


Depending on the formulation, makeup primers are used to smoothen the skin so foundation can go nicely over it. Mattifying primers are for oily skin, they work to absorb sebum and sweat so foundation can last longer. Moisturizing primers are for dry skin and helps smoothen flaky skin so foundation can go evenly on the skin. Primers for mature skin work to blur fine lines and make the skin look more plump and youthful. Color-correcting primers neutralize uneven skin hues, for example, green color correctors cancel out redness; purple ones cancel out sallowness. Some primers are skin issue-specific such as the cult-favorite Benefit Porefessional and Mary Kay Oil Mattifier.

Stuff I've tried:

1. The Face Shop Phytogenic Infinite Makeup Base (Green)


I bought this because they no longer sell the silicone-based primer I used to buy from them. I did no prior research and was pretty meh when I purchased this. I used it as an alternative to their Lovely Me:Ex Makeup Base in Lavender which I used mainly to brighten my sallow skin (effective but felt sticky on my skin, plus it didn't help with oiliness). I do not remember being happy with this purchase. Or being unhappy. It's a forgettable product. I've used it less than ten times, which does not justify its price. I've only learned today, upon searching google for this product's photos, that this is actually a makeup base for oily skin! Had I known, I probably paid more attention to it. All I remember was that it smelled nice, made my skin look whiter (note: not brighter!), and that it felt dry and thick - because it was a mattifier after all ugh why didn't I notice that? I was judging it for faring quite meh as a brightener when it was actually a mattifier!

Consistency: Liquid foundation-like
Price: About P800
Repurchase: Yes
Promises delivered: Mattifying, Color Correcting
Promises not delivered: Brightening

2. Elianto BB Balm



It's the circle one. I am still in mourning for the demise of this product. It's the first BB I've ever tried, and this, along with the cream from the same line, gave me the nicest, prettiest finish I've ever seen on my skin. This balm helped with oiliness, pores, lines, spots and sallowness - helps with everything, because true to its name, it's a miracle product. I remember buying an emergency tub because I left mine at home and just could not go to work without it on my face. Elianto pulled out of the Philippine market in 2011 and no longer sell this product even in Malaysia. Shame. People started asking if I had foreign blood when I started wearing this, it's that crazy good. 

Consistency: Pearl cream-like
Price: About P500
Repurchase: Yes!
Promises delivered: Mattifying, Brightening, Smoothening, Perfecting!
Promises not delivered: none. except it disappeared from the market with no warnings or explanation.


DEAR ELIANTO,
PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY
AND SELL THIS PRODUCT AGAIN.
YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH
IT CHANGED MY LIFE.
XX


3. Mary Kay Oil Mattifier 

This product is effective for controlling oiliness. But it's important to note that this does not really work well as a primer, it's more like a mattifying lotion. This works for those with clear skin who battle with midday shine and stickiness. For the rest of us who can not be seen by the world without foundation or BB cream or powder, this is not a good product to use. It makes foundation feel and look chalky. I tried letting it dry first before putting on foundation, I tried using different foundation consistencies with it, I tried putting it after foundation and after powder, but nothing seemed to work. It's just not formulated to mix well with anything, it seems. Although I've read reviews saying this works well as a primer.

Consistency: Moisturizer-like
Price: About P700
Repurchase: No.
Promises delivered: Mattifying,
Promises not delivered: Blendability with other products.

4. Maybelline Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser


This product's such a disappointment. Benefit Porefessional was all the rage when this came out. I was elated and excited because I love Maybelline - their mascaras are perfect and their products are cheap but work well for daily use. I just gave birth and was needing a makeover, I was saving up for the one from Benefit (costs P1,700) so when I saw that Maybelline launched a similar and super cheap product (costs about P200?) I thought the heavens finally heard my prayers. This did nothing on my pores. They're still visible, up close, a meter away, in photos. The product makes the skin feel poreless, but not look poreless. Does nothing on fine lines or dry spots. This must have been designed for visually-impaired customers who want skin that feels poreless. I know it's cheap so it's understandable that it doesn't deliver, BUT it's Maybelline. MAYBELLINE! Maybelline let me down.

Consistency: Paste-like, smooth, thick
Price: About P200
Repurchase: No.
Promises delivered: Feel poreless
Promises not delivered: Look poreless

5. The Body Shop All-in-One Instablur


I got to try this product when I asked a pro makeup artist friend to work her magic on my face. I was still pretty heartbroken from the Baby Skin letdown so my standards were set pretty low when I tried this. This one's better than Maybelline because this at least visibly blurs the pores a little. Skin also feels poreless and smooth. The two actually have similar consistencies except this is a tad bit drier and more pasty. This promises a lot of things like shine control (I oiled up about an hour or two later than usual) and unifying skin tone (foundation does that well, thanks, I actually don't get how this intends to do that since this is transparent?!). But it's an overall good product, at least better than Maybelline. I am yet to try the coveted Porefessional so until then I'm holding out on declaring how good these pore-blurring products really are.

I just remembered I once used a pore product from the Body Shop back when primers weren't this big. It's from their tea tree oil line. I was young and wasn't into wearing foundations yet. I remember it being okay but I guess I just didn't really know what products like that were for. Anyway.

Consistency: Paste-like, thick
Price: About P800
Repurchase: Yes
Promises delivered: Blurs pores, smoothens skin
Promises not delivered: 12 hour shine control, blurs blemishes

6. Revlon Photoready Primer 


I got to try the Perfecting one from another pro makeup artist friend. Like my heartbreaking experience from Elianto, this product was also pulled out from the Philippine market, but at least Revlon had the decency to announce it beforehand so users could hoard and prepare for hibernating season. My MUA friend loves this product and uses it on all her clients. She bought three when Revlon announced it will no longer be available. It's similar to the Body Shop Instablur, and I can't really tell any difference between the two products other than their packaging. As for effects, though, both give the skin a satiny-feel but I gotta give it to Instablur for having oil control.

Consistency: Paste-like, smooth, creamy
Price: About P700
Repurchase: No.
Promises delivered: Smoothening
Promises not delivered: Blurs pores and lines

7. Quickfx No-Shine Mattifier




This costs P89 and this is the best I've tried so far. I've been seeing this in Watson's for possibly over a year before I finally bought one. I felt an initial aversion because of the cheap-looking packaging. The salicylic acid also scared me off. And I wasn't so sure about mattewax, it sounded comedogenic, reminds me so much of that sticky paste men put in their hair. This also looks like cosmetics sold in Bench, I'm not sure why I feel disinclined to think they'll work. (I'm a product snob yes, but you can't blame me, my skin is really just sensitive and has a mind of its own, when it doesn't like a product it makes sure I know in very unforgiving ways). 

"Absorbs oil to control shine for a smooth, matte finish, conceals fine lines and pores for visibly radiant skin instantly. A light moisturizer and helps hide imperfections such as fine lines and pores while providing an exceptional smooth matte finish. Prevents and treats pimples without drying out the skin."

Their packaging claims do not exaggerate. The product truly delivers. I was amazed myself. See, after an entire year of ignoring this product, I only bothered to give it a try when two fellow makeup workshop participants told me that this is what they use on their clients. I was doubtful at first because they were also raving about Maybelline Baby Skin, which as you know, did not sit well with me. It's been 2 months since I purchased this and I still have about 1/4 of the product left considering I use this every time I'm in makeup, which is about 3-4 times a week. For P89, my pores, lines, dry spots, and general roughness are minimized. I also like that this blends well with any foundation or BB Cream I use. I also did not break out considering it has one too many impossible-to-pronounce ingredients. It is lightweight, does not feel sticky or heavy or cement-like at all. I think I've found my HG primer. 

Consistency: Paste-like, smooth, creamy
Price: P89!!!
Repurchase: YES!!!
Promises delivered: See paragraph before the last ^
Promises not delivered: The "radiant skin" bit? It mattifies skin so radiance is zero. Forgivable.

My eyes are still set on Benefit Porefessional, mainly because of the raves, but the P1,700 it'll cost me is the same amount of money I could be spending on a good facial treatment which could actually do something about my pores and not just bury them temporarily under a product. Although, I'm still waiting for a miracle, a literal miracle - the Elianto Miracle UV BB Balm. I still cry tears of joy whenever I remember how good it made my skin look. Quick FX is a good enough consolation for now. I look forward to the day when I will never have to wear a primer or a magic balm to face the world. Makeup is fun and all, but it's what's underneath all that that truly matters - well both literally and figuratively.

1 comment:

  1. I have a few makeup primers that are my 'go to primers'. Relatively affordable also. I really like the range you have included here, of which I might just consider trialling a few of these also. Thanks alot!

    ReplyDelete