Friday, August 5, 2016

Cheap Wisdom Tooth Extraction at PGH

I've had a long-standing battle with my wisdom teeth. I do not remember when they started erupting (does anyone actually ever??) but for the past decade they have done so much harm to my oral and overall health. They have messed with my bite and alignment and posture and have caused so much significant damage that my face has lost symmetry and the lower half of my face is distorted. I'm still fairly attractive, but the asymmetry bothers me so much.
Also, there's pain. I would sometimes wake up with a throbbing face. It's classic TMJD. It's the main reason I started this blog. Not a lot of people are informed. There are sufferers in the millions who unnecessarily live in pain and ugliness (real talk, life is more beautiful when you're pretty because people treat you better, you have higher chances of getting promoted, you're more trusted, etc which countless of studies have shown.) But again, I was living in pain so I had to do something about my TMJD. Here's a list of symptoms you might wanna check if you also have wisdom tooth issues: 

All interrelated. 
I did my research and learned that wisdom teeth that did not erupt properly often cause TMJD, if not worsen pre-existing Temporomandibular Joint Disorders. 

Even without causing TMJD, impacted wisdom teeth still need to be removed.

I went to see dentists to get price quotes for wisdom tooth extraction and the range was P6,000 to P12,000 PER TOOTH. Out of my four wisdom teeth, only one erupted properly. I didn't even know it was there until yesterday because it has always looked like a normal tooth. But since its partner tooth at the lower jaw will need extraction, even that normal tooth has to be extracted too. So we're looking at P24,000 to P48,000!!! Even if I had that much money to spare, that's still a lot of money that could be spent elsewhere. Yeah I know, health should be top-priority when it comes to spending money, BUT I figured I'd exhaust all resources and look for cheaper options before letting go of that much money. 

Not my x-ray but my wisdom teeth are positioned exactly like these.

I did online research and found out about PGH. My first research was in 2014, I just gave birth and thought of foregoing the operation. Besides, I made the mistake of contacting a certain dentist who lurks at PGH forums and blog posts trying to reel in patients by pretending it's free but then quotes P6,000 per tooth because it will be done in his private clinic. BEWARE!

Last summer, my sister discovered she also had impacted wisdom teeth. So she had hers removed. It took 4 office leaves in a span of a month and a half. First leave was to get assessed (x-rays, cast, taking of patient history), second leave was to get the appointed operation date and the list of materials to buy, third leave was the operation day, and fourth leave was to get sutures removed. 

It's been three months and she's doing okay. She has lost a teeny bit of her jaw width and chin length which we think improved her face. Oh, her dentist lost her cast so she had to go back to PGH to be fitted for a new cast. She also had to take antibiotics for an additional week because she had infections owing to her laziness at brushing her teeth, avoiding certain food, and getting her sutures removed on time. 

Here are the steps we took to get FREE WISDOM TOOTH EXTRACTION AT PGH:


IMPORTANT NOTE: If you're taking the LRT, prepare to do a lot of walking if you choose to get off Pedro Gil station. The OPD is at the far end of the PGH compound. If you're taking a cab, ask to be dropped off at the padre faura gate NOT the main gate. The blue doodles are for Padre Faura street, the green for Pedro Gil station. The big pink X is for the OPD building, the small pink X is for the Padre Faura gate.



STEP 1: GET A BLUE CARD. 

The Blue Card serves as your passport to all PGH services. It's easy to get one. You only have to fall in line BEFORE 6 in the morning outside the gates along with a hundred other patients. That's what my sister did. That's also what other people who blogged about it did.

PGH blue card


That's not what I did though. See, the gates open at 6:30 am and so people have to line up outside to make sure they get slots as PGH departments only accept a certain quota of patients per day. What happens when you get in though is that you fall in line again for 2 more hours to register. So what I did is that I came in at 8 am when I no longer have to fall in line OUTSIDE the gates and outside the building, and the line inside the OPD is already dispersed into different departments (pediatrics, dental, derma, ortho, etc.). When I got in, I didn't have to wait in line. I felt bad that other people had to wake up at 4 am and commute to PGH to fall in line outside only to fall in line again inside, when they could have easily just arrived at 8 am instead when they no longer have to wait with the 92 patients for other departments, because only 8 patients in the hundred are for the dentistry department. Really, just aim to get there by 8 am. No more lines, I promise.

STEP 1.A. FILL OUT THE FORM AT THE TRIAGE SECTION

This is at the reception right in front of the door. You will be guided as you fill it out and will be told to go to the 2nd floor to the Dental Department. You can either wait in line at the elevator, or if you enjoy walking like me, use the ramp. They have a ramp instead of stairs. The Dental Department is at the left wing of the building, beside the Pedia Department. You'll know you're there when the walls are covered with Disney characters and there are children running in every direction.

STEP 1.B. GIVE THE FORM TO THE FRIENDLY PERSON AT THE COMPUTER BY THE DENTISTRY DOOR

She should be given medals I swear. I have not met a single government employee who treats people like humans like she does. She's super nice. I should have gotten her name and written a nice note for her at the comments section. I'll do that when I get back. 

She will check your form, ask you to check if the data on her computer is correct, get your phone number, and then politely tell you to go to KUYA JUN at the PEDIATRIC DEPARTMENT. 

STEP 1.C. GO TO KUYA JUN AT THE PEDIATRICS DEPARTMENT

Following Mickey Mouse will lead you to Kuya Jun. He is also very nice and chatty. The middle aged man with him at the table is also refreshingly nice, joking around and teasing Kuya Jun for asking questions like if I'm really married and where I live. Kuya Jun will check your form and instruct you to go back to the friendly Ate at the Dentistry Department.

STEP 2; WAIT TO BE ASSIGNED TO A DOCTOR

You will either be assigned to a pretty doctor or a handsome doctor. Dentists there are all good-looking, I swear. Or idk I probably just got lucky I chanced upon this batch of beautiful externs. I was assigned to a handsome dude with dreamy eyes and perfect teeth.

I was told to wait for an hour (he was also doing surgery at the time) so I waited outside and sat with the sick children at Pediatrics. It was 9:30 by this time. I was called in by 11 am, He took my history, it was an extensive interview so it took about 30 minutes. He also checked my teeth one by one, which made me die a little because I just ate garlic-flavored Skyflakes. I meant to brush my teeth after but he called me in before I got to. It's fine though, I'm a married woman and the garlic breath should build a high enough wall between patient and doctor. (His eyes are really pretty though. Too bad I'm taken. Heh.) He also made a cast of my teeth. My sister found it painful, but I didn't. 

Dental Cast


STEP 2.B. FOLLOW THE DOCTOR'S INSTRUCTIONS

If you already have x-rays, you'll be told to wait a bit (about 3-5 hours) to get your teeth fitted for a cast, be interviewed for medical dental history, and be assessed. If you are yet to get x-rays, you'll be given instructions to go to Lapid Dental Clinic in Robinson's nearby. The x-ray costs P1,300 but if you bring your Blue Card, you'll be given 50% discount. 

DISCLAIMER: SMILEWARRIOR FROM PINOYEXCHANGE would like to remind everyone that Lapid's is a private clinic and is not obliged to give anyone discounts. If your UP PGH dentist tells you there's an ongoing arrangement of some sort where your PGH blue card entitles you to discounts at Lapid's then go present your blue card and enjoy the discount. If your dentist does not mention any discount, please do not harrass Lapid's personnel. Thank you. Edited: Oct 13

STEP 2.C. GET X-RAYS AT LAPID'S

It was already past 12 nn by this time, so I was told to go have lunch at Robinson's and have my x-ray taken. Lapid personnel are not the friendliest people. I mean, the x-ray tech person, she tries to be friendly even if her Resting Bitch Face gives her character away. But the lady at the reception is all snooty. You'll get the results in 5 minutes so you won't have to bask in their negativity for long.

STEP 2. D. SUBMIT X-RAY TO YOUR PRETTY DOCTOR AND DO ANOTHER ROUND OF WAITING

I waited. And waited. And waited. I was told by my doctor that I'd be called in by the rad-tech person who'll do my individual x-rays per wisdom tooth, but 3 hours later I was still in the waiting area.

STEP 2. E. GET THE GODDAMN X RAYS DONE

So I got there at 8 am. I was done by 5 pm. My sister was done by 2:30. It has nothing to do with her getting there at 6 am. I really just got lucky I was assigned to a doctor who was also doing surgery that day and the rad-tech person was feeling bitchy that day too. Ms. Rad-Tech went home at 4 and so my doctor who was probably too tired by then had to do the x-rays himself. Again, this is not because I got there late. I was late but was Dental Patient #6 - their patient quota is 20 per day. Again, just a case of bad luck.

TOTAL EXPENSES FOR 1ST VISIT:
BLUE CARD: P7.00
X-RAY AT LAPID'S: P650
INDIVIDUAL WISDOM TOOTH X-RAY: P 60/TOOTH
TOTAL: P897

My doctor gave me his number and told me he'll text me further instructions. As per my sister's experience, I will be given a list of operation materials and medicines to buy at least a week before my operation. My doctor said it usually takes forever to get an appointment, so we're looking at some time in October, BUT he said he might be able to put me in a priority list of some sort so that I might get an appointment within August. Updating this soon. 

19 comments:

  1. I had no issues or concerns during this visit. I really appreciate the excellent customer service the office has.emergency dentist Airdrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 year old tooth pain
    hi there its very nice article keep it up and if you have any tooth hard pain then try now this incredible affected home remedies tips

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this! You can also try Dental World Manila for wisdom tooth extraction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I would like to ask what kind of X-Ray did you get from Lapid Dental Clinic? Was it Panoramic X-Ray? Because I plan on going there with X-Ray in hand already, to reduce waiting time.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I honestly don't remember clearly but one is definitely panoramic. Sorry, it's been over a year. :(

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Nagpunta ka na ba sa pgh sis? Anong balita? Plano ko din pumunta dun after reading this.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this blog. After ECQ, plan ko din pumunta sa PGH for dental services. Magpapabunot ako ng 3 ngipin. 2 wisdom tooth at 2nd molar na katabi nya bulok at upod na kasi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! Let me know if I need to update the information on this blog. Baka nabago na yung process or prices. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Meron po bang update? Plan ko din sana mag punta for wisdom teeth extraction.

      Delete
  7. May mahabang pila pa din kaya para sa pagkuha ng blue card lalo na at may pandemic? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for taking the time to write this informative post about affordable wisdom tooth extraction on your blog. Have a great rest of your day and keep posting.
    Dentist Philadelphia

    ReplyDelete
  9. It’s very good blog! For sharing content and such nice information for me. I hope you will share some more content about. Please keep sharing.
    Wisdom Tooth Extraction Cost
    Dental Clinic Near Me Fremont
    All On Four Dental Implants Cost
    Oral Sedation Dentistry

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have schedule for my wisdom tooth extraction and no idea what to do there in PGH. Luckily I found this blog post! Thanks so much very informative

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, how was it? Do they still offer it for free? Upon checking their facebook page, the wisdom tooth extraction's not posted anymore :(

      Delete
    2. How was your extraction?

      Delete
  11. Hi, is it okay magtry kung may braces? Mahal kasi sa dentist ko and hindi sya kasama sa package ng braces ko

    ReplyDelete