Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Wisdom Tooth Extraction at PGH Part 2

So my doctor was perhaps exaggerating when he said I'll get my extractions appointment on October. See, my initial checkup was on the 2nd week of August. The following week, my doctor texted me that I could be scheduled for extractions by the 4th week. It's pretty quick, considering it's a public hospital and there are hundreds of patients.

I, unfortunately, missed my August and then, my September appointments. But my super kind (and very gwapo - hi doc!) doctor managed to get me an appointment for October. (God bless your heart, kind sir! lal) I went there yesterday to get clearance from the endocrinologist for my thyroid disorder. Failing to learn my lesson from my previous visit to PGH, I got there by 2 pm, waited for my dentist to finish his operation, and by the time I got the request for an appointment with the endoc, the endoc clinic was already closed. I was also given a list of surgical materials to buy for my extractions next week, but it was already 3:15 by then and the PGH pharmacy was already 15 minutes closed. Tsk tsk. 

Here's the timeline of my all my reschedules. I feel so horrible.

Because the PGH Pharmacy was already closed, I had no choice but to go to Bambang to buy the materials. Some items weren't available so I had to then go to Quiapo. It was raining so it was quite an adventure. Good thing my sister was with me, and she knew where all the cheap places were. 

The numbers by the end of the items are prices written by the Ate at the dental supplies clinic in Bambang.
Since two of my sisters have already had extractions done at PGH, I no longer had to start from scratch looking for dental suppliers. There's a dental supplies store in Bambang where 80% of the items on the list are available. Prices are cheap too, compared to Mercury and dental suppliers in Quiapo. From PGH, just take the LRT to Bambang station. From the station, you can actually see the signage for the Dental Supplies Store, it's right across Mighty Mart (er basta some MiniStop-7/11 store.)

P1,333 for 80% of the items on my list. 
Note that other bloggers who've had their extractions done at PGH spent P4,000 on their surgical materials. Going to Bambang first, and then Quiapo, and then Mercury will save you a lot of money. Should you decide to go straight to Quiapo, you can still get stuff for cheap just look for this store:

Liberty Dental Supply ~ I wish I could give you directions but I do not remember which streets we went to to get there. If you've been to Divisoria, the streets are that confusing. 
Since I still need to get clearance from the endocrinologist, my dentist decided to not give me prescriptions for antibiotics and pain medications. My sister said she spent less than P500 for those, including anesthesia. I also am yet to buy the Orahex Alcohol-free Mouthwash since all the stores we visited (WE VISITED ABOUT 6 IN QUIAPO) didn't have anything alcohol-free. Sister says she bought hers in Mercury so, I'm not panicking yet. 

We had to visit store after store after store in Quiapo to look for the surgical burs. My sister also had a hard time looking for her burs as the sizing and specifications (high speed/low speed) were impossible to find. We both had to settle for larger sized burs - we called our dentists first for approval.

My extractions will be done next week. I'll have the endocrinologist appointment at 7 am first, and then hopefully get cleared, I mean there really shouldn't be any problem. As per my sisters' instructions, I need to buy a one-week supply of survival food: oatmeal, ice cream, soup, and yogurt. I'm excited. You have no idea how horrible the pain had been the past weeks. I felt like my face was being squeezed by invisible giant pliers. There's pressure and popping in my ears. I don't have pus or signs of infection, thank God, so I guess I'm still good.

TOTAL EXPENSES FOR 2ND VISIT:
Bambang - P1,333
Quiapo A - P300
Quiapo B - P180
TOTAL : P1,813

No comments:

Post a Comment