Tuesday, November 1, 2016

So I finally had my wisdom teeth extracted

It took me 3 months, 4 blog posts (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3) and about P6,000 to get rid of my three problematic wisdom teeth. I'm supposed to have all four removed, but apparently PGH Dentistry has a cutoff of 3 pm (or 3:30), we started at 1 pm and by the time my doctor was done with my third tooth, it was already 4:30! My upper left wisdom tooth was unerrupted so it took my doctor over an hour to make sure none of its bits were left under the gums. I still have one wisdom tooth intact, which I plan to keep unless/until it causes a problem. The original plan was to get all four of them extracted, but what happened after the removal of the third tooth made me change my mind.

I had a horrible post-operative experience. See, I didn't check myself in the mirror until an hour after surgery. I saw my reflection in the rearview mirror of the cab I was in and noticed that my lips were swollen and the surrounding skin red and patchy and a little itchy. I dismissed it as normal even though it looked real scary up close in my compact mirror. I continued to ice my cheek and jaw area and convinced myself that everything's okay. I started noticing that there's something off when my throat started to itch. It started with a tiny area, the itch would then turn into sore numbness (??) and then little by little it felt like half of my throat was sore and numb that I was struggling to swallow my saliva. When it felt like 3/4 of my throat was closing (I do not know how to better describe it), I texted my doctor and asked if it's normal. I was choking on my saliva. It turned out I had a bad reaction to the anesthesia - which was weird because I've had anesthesia several times before (dental extractions, childbirth) and never had a reaction.

When I got home, I asked my husband to take me to the local hospital. I thought it wouldn't be wise to go back to PGH anyway as Dentistry was already closed so any GP at the nearest hospital can do the job. The doctor at the local hospital did not know what to do with me as he has never encountered a case like mine. He kept on asking me to open my mouth to check my throat. I insisted I just had my wisdom teeth extracted and I wouldn't be able to open my mouth even if I wanted to. (TRISMUS, doc, you can google it!) He thought I was being maarte. I mean, my life's in danger, why on earth will I shut my mouth for no reason? Did I not look like my life's danger just by the looks of my swollen effed up face? He first prescribed me oral antihistamines (my throat was swollen and numb, how was I supposed to take an oral medication?!), but then reconsidered my suggestion of maybe giving me something intravenously.

We went home after an hour. My throat was still sore and numb but I figured I'll just tough it out at home. The doctor's rudeness wasn't going to make the tightness of my throat go away, so I decided I'll just go home and rest and pray that it will go away on its own. It didn't go away until the next day.

This isn't me, but the swelling after the surgery looked like this. It got way worse by the third day. My cheeks hurt from the stretching. 
I just took the antibiotics prescribed by my dentist, avoided eating as much as I could and rested the next three days. The swelling abated by the fourth day. I started looking normal by the seventh day, although the tenderness was still there. It's now the tenth day and my only concern is the open wound from the bottom right extraction. The stitches unraveled by the fourth day and now there's a scary looking gap that always has food stuck in there. My sister suggested rinsing my mouth with turmeric, which I now do after eating, and then I'll brush my teeth, and then I'll rinse with Orahex (Chlorhexidine Gluconate) - so much trouble after eating that I sometimes do not bother eating at all.

I had my follow up check up on the sixth day. My doctor saw the unraveled stitches but reassured me that the wound would heal on its own, it would just take a bit longer than if the stitches didn't unravel. I'm still scared, my sister developed infections by her third week post-surgery!

If I don't update this post, it only means I didn't develop an infection and things turned out fine. Hoping for the best. ~

P.S. I spent about P300 (or less, sorry forgot the exact amount) on the day of the operation for X-rays (about P120), anesthesia (about P120), and doctor's fee (about P60). So yes, I spent about P6,000 in total for everything.

24 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear about what happened. It seems like you've gone through a lot, especially with that Rude GP!! I haven't gone to UP PGH yet due to holiday these past weeks. I will now later this morning. I only have one impacted tooth to be removed. I just hope all would be fine. Hoping for your fast recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi.. I really like your blog.. It answers most of my questions about PGH. May i know how are you a now? I am planning to go to PGH for my 4 impacted wisdom tooth, but i am afraid that my face might be disproportion after surgery.. Please give me an advise.. Thank you so much gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey. My face was lopsided na to begin with. Just a tad bit. It didn't worsen naman after the extractions. My only problem now is good getting caught in between my last molar and the gums where the wisdom teeth used to be. Annoying af. Lol I always have to brush my teeth after eating so no eating on the road, while watching a movie, etc or anytime I can't be bothered to go to the sink to brush my teeth. Other than that, I'm doing real well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi if I just have one wisdom tooth is it the same cost for 6,000 pesos? Thank for your answer.

      Delete
    2. You'll save a bit because you'll have fewer X-rays, anesthesia shots, and materials to buy but it'll probably cost you pa din about P3k just to be safe. If it's one problematic wisdom tooth lang, I suggest you go to a private clinic.

      Delete
    3. Hi all things beauty :) i ask two dentist near in my place and it cost 10,000 pesos. Do you have any recomended dentist na medyo makakamura. Thank you po.

      Delete
    4. Wow really? Where do you live? Dentaprime (near sm north) quoted me for P6,000 a tooth, if I have it done at another clinic with the same dentist, she said she'll give it to me for P4,500. But if you're really on a tight budget and you have the time to spare, go to PGH na.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this post. What happened to your sister? Why did she have an infection? Is she okay now? I have 1 wisdom tooth, medyo upright na siya pero kalahati lang naka erupt. Sinisira niya yung alignment ng lower teeth no kaya Gusto ko sana I try sa PGH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my sister and I are okay. our problems now are the facial sagging caused by the bone resorption caused by the extractions. weigh your options well. the sagging is mild and unnoticeable. only people who haven't seen you for months/years would notice and ask why you look old/tired/odd.

      Delete
  5. Hi Im confused. The supplies cost you less than 2k and on the day of the extraction you only spent 300. But how did it cost you 6k on everything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey. it's been over a year so I don't remember clearly but I must have included all the transportation fees from going back and forth, and the extra lab & consultation fees for the clearance for my thyroid condition.

      1st visit: P897
      2nd visit: P1,813
      3rd visit: clearance at another hospital - private doctor
      extraction: P300
      post-op: doctor at local hospital

      Delete
  6. hi do you think nag cater sila ng pedia 2yo?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's really nice and meanful. it's really cool blog. Linking is very useful thing.you have really helped lots of people who visit blog and provide them usefull information. wisdom tooth extraction melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just went to my ate's dentist and found out I have 2 impacted wisdom tooth. But it'll cost php 6,000- php 10,000 per tooth which is a bit pricey for me. Do you think their price increase already (since yours was way back 2016)? I'm planning on getting rid of these but I'm hesitating coz the healing process is kinda long and probably might hinder my work...I have work 6 days a week.

    PS. Thank you for this, I really appreciate your blog. Super helpful and informative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I don't think PGH would charge any higher than they did in 2016. But, the dental supplies and the X-rays probably cost a little more now. So maybe expect to spend about P500-1K more? Also, I'm not sure if Lapid's still gives discounts so consider that too.

      Delete
  9. Thank you! Does it hurt (during the extraction/healing process?) I'll try to check PGH soon. The pain is getting worst each day... Does the swelling take for a week before healing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pain starts after the anesthesia wears off. It's pretty bearable for me, I mean I think I was able to sleep it off. Yes, the swelling takes a week and was really bad the third day.

      Delete
  10. I was planning on going to pgh for this but then realized the hassle of travelling since I am from Fairview and the traffic sucks. And since you said that you spent almost 6k which is actually my dentist's offer then I'm just going to choose the private clinic instead. lol. Anyway, thank you for this blog. At least we know now that there is free services from hospitals like this. Hope you'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's P6k for all wisdom teeth ha. If you have 1 problematic wisdom tooth lang, yes go to a private dentist na. If you have 4 problematic wisdom teeth, computation will be per tooth.

      Delete
  11. Hello! I have 4 impacted wisdom teeth, thank you for your blog, it really gave me hope that I can spend lesser if I go to PGH than in private. I just talked to my dentist in a private clinic and I will be paying approximately 28,000 pesos for the 4. And I already have the amount, I saved a lot during this pandemic, such a blessing in disguise for me. But like you I don't want to spend it all to my dental procedures knowing that there's an option to spend less. Thank you for this. Hoping for the pandemic to already subside. And surely I will plan my journey to PGH after all these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello po! Natuloy po ba kayo sa PGH? Nag aaccept pa po ba sila sa Dentistry Dept kahit ngayong pandemic? Thank you!

      Delete