Thursday, October 13, 2016

Wisdom Tooth Extraction at PGH Part 3

Oh my. This is taking forever. Part 1 is here. Part 2 is here.

So I went to PGH at 7 am yesterday all prepared to have my 4 wisdom teeth extracted. I brought the dental supplies I bought from Bambang and Quiapo. I ate all the right food and braced myself for the week of pain. Alas, surgery was rescheduled.

Last week, I was told to get clearance from the Endocrinologist at the Internal Medicine department. The doctor I was assigned to was already out that day, so I had to get an appointment the following week - which was yesterday. I was given a 7 am slot, so I thought I'd have enough time until my 10 am wisdom tooth extractions. Apparently, a 7 am appointment at the IM department meant having to wait in line among dozens of other patients (there were more than 50). By the time I was called in, it was already 11 am and my dentist decided it's best that we reschedule because Hospital Dentistry department only operates half day on Wednesdays.

I was annoyed. Not at the dentist, but at myself for expecting things will go smoothly as planned. I didn't realize it was a government hospital and there are hundreds of sick people all demanding to be treated for free. I felt embarrassed when the old woman who sat next to me asked me what I did for a living and how much money I earn. She said, "O kaya mo naman pala mag private." I told her spending P50,000 when you have the option of spending only P5,000 is not exactly smart. I mean I have as much right as her to get free medical treatments from government hospitals (I AM A TAX-PAYING FILIPINO CITIZEN) but I still felt a tinge of guilt for sitting in their midst.

As a side note, I would like to commend all the doctors, nurses and staff at PGH. I've visited other public hospitals, and none of their people are as kind, patient and professional as the ones in PGH. I do not know if PGH pays them fairly, because I know other public hospitals don't pay their people well - I'm not sure if this is why PGH people can handle stress better than workers at other public hospitals. It's also possible that PGH is run by decent people at the management level. The steps and processes from registration to treatment to follow up checkups are well-designed. The facilities are old, but they're waaay cleaner than some private hospitals here in Malolos. I was expecting my whole treatment would already have been completed last month because it was that quick for my sister - it only took her a month and a half - but it's all my fault for dragging this treatment this long.

If you happen to have health issues like me that would require you to get clearance before getting your wisdom teeth extracted, I suggest you go to a private doctor to get that clearance. It's faster that way. You won't have to wait an entire day only to be asked to come back the next day for lab (PGH LABORATORY CLOSES AT 10 AM) and then come back the following week to see the same doctor for his damned signature on your clearance form. If you go to a private doctor, you'll have the clearance in 48 hours, not a week. It's more expensive, of course. But we're only looking at P1,000-2,000 depending on your lab fees, versus P500-1,000 BUT WASTING AN ENTIRE WEEK.

My dentist is again rescheduling me next week so hopefully I can finally get my wisdom teeth out. Updating this again. Didn't expect this whole thing will take three blog posts.

AAAND PART 4.

4 comments:

  1. I love the parts of your journey. I am planning in doing this too, this Monday. So help me God. I will wait for the part 4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiii! How did it go? Part 4 is already up:
    http://liveitpretty.blogspot.com/2016/11/so-i-finally-had-my-wisdom-teeth.html
    Feel free to ask questions, glad to help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the kind of blogs that help the world go around a better place. Really informative and helpful especially with the details! Keep it up and stay awesome! ��

    ReplyDelete