Friday, May 15, 2020

Craftology Oils Review


A couple of months ago, I wrote about Hydroquinone/Tretinoin and how dangerous they can get. Read post here. I was  neck-deep in research, trying to look for safer alternatives. I had plenty of skin issues to deal with: oiliness, occasional acne, acne scars, and early signs of aging. So I can't just laze around and let my skin be what it is for the whole world to judge. I had to find something. I didn't want to spend the rest of my life covering my skin with makeup.

At this point in the history of humanity, we still have not found the magic potion that can make skin regenerate perfectly. We have hydroquinone, which bleaches the skin. We have tretinoin, which increases cellular turnover, in lay speak, it makes new skin cells replace old ones faster than usual. These two are still the best when it comes to getting rid of scars, discoloration, uneven tone and texture, and fine lines. But there's a catch - both have nasty side effects, from skin stains to cancer.


We've found acids and actives that can replicate these effects, but not in the same speed, manner, or efficiency.
  • Bleaching alternatives: arbutin, glutathione, vitamin C, niacinamide, and the herbal stuff like papain, licorice extract, kojic acid. 
  • Tretinoin alternatives: AHA, BHA. The first one peels the surface layer of the skin. The second one goes much deeper into the pores. 
I was in an existential dilemma. To die beautiful (sooner) or to die ugly (later), that is the question. I definitely did not want to die ugly, but I also didn't want to deal with the nasty side effects of hydroquinone/tretinoin just to be beautiful.

I went to Shopee to check out Korean skincare lines. I was overwhelmed with the options. To cut the long story short, I found myself down a rabbit hole, and ended up in the Craftology Essentials shop, owned by a "theinspiredalchemist."

I'm a big fan of The Ordinary brand, I love that their products are as effective as higher-priced products from other brands. Imagine my surprise when I found out we have a locally available brand that carries similar products with the same business ethic. Jackpot.

They sell acids and pure oils in neatly-designed 100 ml bottles. Price list as of this writing:
  • Lactic Acid PHP 90
  • Virgin Coconut Oil PHP 115
  • Cold-pressed Castor Oil PHP 120
  • Sunflower Oil PHP 120
  • Sweet Almond Oil PHP 135
  • Grapeseed Oil PHP 140
  • Avocado Oil PHP 225
  • Safflower Oil PHP 240
  • Apricot Kernel Oil PHP 255
  • Macadamia Oil PHP 285
  • Wheat Germ Oil PHP 315
  • Golden Jojoba Oil PHP 390
  • Kukui Nut Oil PHP 450
  • Rosehip Oil PHP 520
  • Pure Argan Oil PHP 620
And dozens more. Some of these are also sold in 30 ml dropper bottles, should you wish to hoard one of each kind. They also carry extracts, waxes, essential oils, fragrance oils, even Vitamin E and other skin care ingredients that you may experiment on and add to your favorite lotions and hair serums. 

I felt like a kid in a candy store. I did not know which oils to pick so I trimmed down my long list to two: Rosehip oil and Grapeseed oil. 

Craftology

CRAFTOLOGY ROSEHIP OIL

Straight off their product label:
"Rose hip oil, due to its high concentration of antioxidants and essential fatty acids, is known to be effective in reducing the appearance of scars and wrinkles. It is an effective emollient and is recommended for use on dry, distressed, and sensitive skin, which it leaves smooth and hydrated. It may also be easily incorporated as an active ingredient or used as an ideal carrier in skin and hair care products. It is recommended for use in anti-wrinkle and sun care cosmetic formulations."

This product had me at "effective in reducing the appearance of scars and wrinkles."

I use this in full concentration at night. I basically just slather it all over my face. It can feel thick so I don't recommend this during the day or if you stay in rooms without air conditioning. It makes the skin feel soft and moisturized. It also makes the skin look plumper so fine lines and pores are less visible. I did not break out nor had eczema or itchy patches while using this. No purging period.

Craftology


CRAFTOLOGY GRAPESEED OIL

Straight off their product label:

"Grapeseed oil is an effective, non-greasy emollient with good skin absorption. It may be applied directly on the skin and hair and may also be easily incorporated as an active ingredient or an ideal carrier in skin and hair care products. It is widely used in applications for blemished, oily, and impure skin as it leaves the skin soft, smooth, and conditioned."

This product had me at "blemished, oily, and impure skin." Ouch but okay that's my skin alright.

I use this oil as a makeup remover. It's too thick to be left on the face over night or to be used as daytime moisturizer. It's also pretty cheap at PHP 140 for a 100 ml bottle. I've used mine as a makeup remover nightly for over half a year and I still have a bit of it left. I slather it on, rub it in circles to loosen the day's accumulation of sunscreen, BB cream, powder, and face gunk and then wipe it off with a cotton ball. I do that up to 3-4 times until I get a clear cotton ball. It also removes eye makeup well, including waterproof mascara and eyeliner. I then wash it off with a BHA-based facial wash, or soap when I'm being lazy and careless. I used to use Cetaphil to remove my makeup but this is a cheaper, and surprisingly, gentler alternative.

Next Craftology products on my list:

1. Cold-pressed Castor Oil. PHP 85 for 30 ml

I had a bad experience with castor oil back in college. So I was this teenager wanting to have naturally long, thick, shiny lashes and people on the internet were like, "use castor oil!" so I bought a cheap bottle in Mercury Drug (as in like less than PHP 50) and ended up getting my first wrinkles at age 17. I'm sure it was the brand, because to this day, over a decade later, people still swear by castor oil for nice lashes. I'm gonna refuse to learn my lesson and experiment once again with this oil. Craftology seems like an honest brand.

2. Virgin Coconut Oil. PHP 115 for 100 ml

Only because it's coronavirus season and this is causing a stir in local medicine. VCO had been around for over a decade and I still have not tried it. People have recommended it to me for dry skin, dry hair, muscle aches and shiz. The internet has also given me medical advice regarding VCO's ability to fix dental issues ~ it's that magical. So maybe, just maybe, I'll finally give it a chance. 

3. Pure Argan Oil. PHP 620 for 100 ml

I will never forget how this rude saleslady at Landmark told me that the hair serum I was asking for was worth P3k. She looked at me like I wouldn't be able to afford it so why bother asking. Well to be fair, I wasn't looking to get overpriced hair stuff indeed, I don't like spending so much on my hair, mostly because it's not my biggest problem. But see, now, Landmark Lady, I can replicate your overpriced Argan Oil Magic Serum with something I can make from Craftology. I don't know why Argan is overhyped, possibly because it's expensive, but has anyone actually compared it with VCO just to see if it's all that good? Looks to me like good material for a next blog post.

4. Aloe Vera Glycolic Extract. PHP 120 for 30 ml

I think it's strange for someone who's always claimed to be a beauty product expert to not, ever, have tried aloe vera, VCO, and argan oil. So I'm getting this next time just for the heck of it. I remember drinking aloe vera juice as a child, it tasted horrible. I've never tried it on my skin. Heard it's awesome for sunburns and hair thickening. 

5. Titanium Dioxide. PHP 120 for 100 g powder

This can be added to face powder and other make up products to give them sun protection powers. This only blocks UVB, but it's still a win. Makeup products without sunscreen properties should no longer exist in this century.

6. Vitamin E. PHP 280 for 30 ml

I know this does wonders to skin, but when taken orally, Vitamin E wreaks havoc on mine. I've tried a lot of brands, Vitamin E just hates me. So I'm giving it another chance. Topical application might just do the trick. Craftology promises this helps with wound healing and moisturization. 

So I'm stopping at 6 because I'm not filthy rich. I'd probably try all the others when I've got the time and attention span needed to finish products so they don't go to waste. I still have the Grapeseed Oil and Rosehip Oil, both I currently do not use because I don't wear makeup while in quarantine, and I'm still letting my skin rest from all the recent product experiments. 

Oh, in case you'd like to see their products yourself, here's the link to their Shopee store: CRAFTOLOGY ESSENTIALS

No comments:

Post a Comment