Wednesday, May 27, 2020

L'oreal Infallible 24H Fresh Wear Foundation Review

I've sworn off foundation ever since discovering BB creams. Back in the day, in my most insecure period, I used to cover my face with the thickest foundation available: Revlon Color Stay (the original version, newer versions are runny and just not as cement-like.) And then I switched to cream foundation, only to discover that my pimples were caused by makeup residue inside my pores. That's when I promised myself to never go back to foundation - cream, liquid and whatnot. I figured I'd just take care of my skin instead and cover it with as little product as I can bravely put on.

I also decided to stop using brushes, sponges and applicators. You just can't clean them enough. I'd be paranoid reusing brushes, even newly-washed ones, that I'd find myself buying new ones. I'd hoarded dozens. And because that's insanely expensive, I figured I'd ditch applicators and use my hands in applying products. This does not go well with powder which I learned to put on using cotton balls.

And so we're here. I have absolutely no idea why I have a L'oreal Infallible 24H Fresh Wear Foundation hiding rather sadly in a corner of my vanity table. It's not expired. It's manufactured in late 2018. I probably bought this in 2019. It's mid 2020 now and I have not touched this bottle until today.

I don't know why I have it. First of all, it's super thick. Second, you can't apply it with bare hands.



I probably bought this for an event. Ha. Yes, I'm beginning to recall snippets. Yes, I bought this for an event. I thought I'd need something that would last for 24 hours, or at least something that wouldn't make me look like a muddy mess mid-event.

I guess I was looking for something that was like Revlon Color Stay, but not exactly as cement-like as it. And this was satisfactory. I'm applying it again today as I write.

What it promises versus what it delivers:

24H Fresh Look  - Ok, so I have not tried wearing this on my face for 24 hours, and I have no plans to do so. Sleeping with makeup on is a nasty habit and should not be done by anyone even those with  immaculate skin. The 24-hour part, I can't disprove. But the fresh part is true. I recovered photos of the event I bought this for, and I didn't look like a muddy mess.

Longer Lasting - Longer lasting than what exactly, we'll never know. But it does stay on pretty long. It's also difficult to take off. I remember having had to use both Cetaphil and oil to remove it. I have just used 5 rounds of cotton balls and grape seed oil, and then soap just to remove all traces of it on my face.

Covers imperfections - It's thick enough to cover discoloration, but its consistency does not work really well with uneven surfaces, dry spots, and active pimples. It does, however, look okay in photos. I'm guessing this would work specifically with a good liquid foundation brush (pictured below). I applied it with a stippling brush and it's just too thick so it came out patchy. A beauty blender could work also, but then it will most likely thin it out, so coverage can suffer a bit. Try to experiment with different applicators.

No transfer - it does transfer a bit, so nope. I tried patting down shine with tissue paper, and some pigments transferred with oil. It's not as bad as cream foundation transfers, so it's still ok. Just not something I'd recommend if you'll be kissing a lot of faces or sweating at the gym.

No shine - I still got shiny. And it wasn't the nicest sheen. It was sticky shine. 

No dry out - okay, this, it does deliver. Despite its thickness, it does not feel cakey. It doesn't feel like wearing an actual mask made of chalk. It feels like you have a cream-based sunscreen on. 

No mask effect - yep, as mentioned above, it does not feel like a heavy chalk mask. It also does not look horrible in photos. 

Do I recommend it? 

Well, I obviously now have my biases against foundations so. There's a reason this bottle has remained unused on my vanity table. It's gathered dust. It's not a horrible product. The shade I got, 20 Ivory, is perfect on my skin, but it oxidizes a little. So. Meh.

I honestly do not get all the hype around this foundation on Facebook groups and online shopping sites. If this were released at the time when I was into the whole "overly done, heavily covered" look, I would have loved this more than I did Revlon Color Stay. But now that I know what I know (BB Creams are gentler, lighter and fresher), I honestly can't recommend this. Sorry.


Redeeming quality ~ this is the closest thing you can get. You're welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment