Thursday, May 7, 2020

Solgar Saw Palmetto Berry Extract Review

The first time I crossed paths with this magic pill was in the early 2010s. I was a lurker at the Female Network GirlTalk Forum. Back in the day, if you're a girl in your teens/20s, and you weren't a member of GirlTalk, you were basically living under a rock. These days, we have Facebook groups and Youtube channels to tell us what beauty and health products to buy. In the 2010s, we read pages of forums for product recommendations.

Members post questions like, "What do you take to look blooming?" And I remember envying girls who'd post dozens of supplements along with links to photos of themselves. I remember promising myself that someday when I get filthy rich, I'll have these things for breakfast:
  • Shiseido Pure White
  • Meiji Collagen
  • Orihiro Placenta Powder
  • Ishigaki Amino Premium White
  • DHC Collagen
  • Hakubi White C
  • Fracora Flowage
  • Neocell Collagen
  • Evening Primrose Oil
  • CoQ10
  • Grape Seed Extracts
  • Youtheory Collagen
  • Hair, Skin and Nails
  • Fish Oil
  • Flaxseed Oil
  • Pearl White
  • Rosehip extracts
  • Everesh White EX
So I got older and made my own money but still didn't get around to having dozens of beauty pills for breakfast. I have in the past ten years, tried probably half of the stuff on the list above, and then some, whichever is making noise in social media. But it is only now that I am able to try SAW PALMETTO.

What is Saw Palmetto? 

It's the stuff old men take for prostate issues. Also, it's the stuff homosexual men take to be less masculine and develop a bit of breast tissue. 

Why do women take it? 

Because apparently, it lowers androgen levels. Androgen is a male hormone, it's crazy high in women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It causes acne and oily skin, among its many pesky effects. 

Saw palmetto also contains laurate, palmitate, oleate, and linoleate essential oils. These help keep skin nourished and moisturized. 

Also, saw palmetto prevents hair loss and improves hair growth.

Also, saw palmetto contains antioxidants epicatechin and methyl gallate. 

Also, boobs.

Are there side effects? 

Side effects are mostly mild including stomach pain, diarrhea, headache, fatigue, and rhinitis. The scariest are liver problems and reduction in sex drive, the latter being temporary. I've also seen material claiming saw palmetto might interfere with medications, so that's something to consider before trying it. 

Is it effective? 

That's for me to find out. It's Day 1 as of this writing. I'm 2 or 3 days away from my monthly period, so I should be getting a random pimple in a few hours. 

~UPDATING SOON~

So it's Day 3. 

And I still do not have my period. Definitely not pregnant. Definitely not stressed. I did not use any unusual product nor have I taken any supplement in the past three days. So the results on my face are VERY likely to be caused by Solgar Saw Palmetto Berry Extract.

Result. 

Hold on, currently counting.

Pimple inventory:

  • 1 cystic acne on my forehead.
  • 1 tiny zit on my hairline
  • 3 tiny zits on eyebrow area
  • 1 tiny whitehead on nose
  • 1 tiny papule above the lips
  • 1 cystic acne on jawline
  • 2 tiny zits on jawline
As you can tell, our little experiment did not give us a favorable result. I am throwing away my bottle or possibly giving it away to some random old person with prostate issues who might want to grow some boobies.

What went wrong, you ask?

I'm not quite sure. But this is similar to how my facial skin reacts to oral Vitamin E. I've tried a couple of brands, and all show the same result. I know Vitamin E simply does not work for people with oily skin because of what it does to sebum - it somehow makes it thicker so pores get clogged = pimples. I'm guessing saw palmetto might be messing with my sebum (the natural oil on the skin) also. 

Oh well. 

Do I recommend it? 

Obvs not to people with oily skin. If you're a guy though and you'd like to grow boobs, then maybe it's worth the risk, idk. I guess there's less risk if your skin fares well with oral Vitamin E. I know people who look ~glowing~ while taking Vitamin E. Unfortunately, those are people with normal skin to begin with. So, if you have normal skin and you're looking for something to make your skin nicer than usual, this might be something that could work for you. If you have skin like mine that's hypersensitive and overdramatic, then, no. 

Quarantine's driving me crazy and now I've 10 pimples to heal. 

Yes.


No comments:

Post a Comment