Thursday, December 17, 2020

ICure KeraCollagen Blowout - DIY Review

The last time I reviewed Keratin Blowout, I was full on demonizing the hair styling treatment. I have valid reasons for warning people. Because it's been proven that the original formula contains formaldehyde and you know, formaldehyde kills people.

I recently discovered DIY Brazilian. And look at the label:

ICure KeraCollagen Blowout DIY Review. Do it yourself hair straightening. Alternative to rebonding. Price and benefits. Philippines.

0% Formaldehyde

0% Formaldehyde! Is there such a thing - a Keratin/Kerawhatever/Brazilian Blowout without Formaldehyde? There's no way for me to know. So if anyone with a lab decides to test this product let me know how it goes. It's rather disappointing how product labels can't be trusted. Marketers can claim just about anything: 90% straighter hair! Whiter skin in 7 days! 5x stronger nails! 0% Poison!

I fell prey to the promise so I ordered a sachet just to test if it works at all. Only after I've paid my order on Shopee that I decided to check online if people have tried it and if it even works. I was bored. 

Of all ICure KeraCollagen Blowout reviews on Youtube, this is the first I clicked on:


Tip: Visit the comments section of the Youtube video to see where she went wrong. 

So according to commenters, she may have used the wrong shampoo, failed to get the detangling product, or forgot to rinse. I panicked when I realized I needed to order more products. I was thinking I'd save money by purchasing this product (P250 over at Shopee) versus getting a Brazilian treatment done (P1,000 cheapest, and I wasn't really interested in inhaling Formaldehyde at a possibly Covid-19-infected salon.)

I searched some more and found this tutorial video from ICure:


This tutorial video made it look like DIYing won't be too hard. I mean, I DIY my hair color, cut, and treatments. What can go wrong? 

Upon actually DIYing though, I realized the first video was pretty spot on. This product is not user-friendly. What made it difficult to use:

1. The product is too runny. Its consistency is like that of jojoba oil or water. 

2. The product is clear-colored. There's no way to check which spots you missed because it's hard to tell.

3. The product takes a long time to absorb into the hair.

4. It did not sting my eyes or nose, but I spilled a few drops on my neck and arm and they itched. I did this in front of the mirror inside the bathroom so I could wash the spills ASAP. 

This is a product that requires professional guidance/application. Despite it looking like a moron-proof sachet of conditioner. 

As for effectiveness, I'm giving it 7 out of 10. I still haven't washed my hair since application, so as of now, all I can say is that my hair is generally smoother. Maybe a bit straighter (I ironed my hair.) It's not as straight as it would be with rebonding or with a professional Brazilian/Keratin/Keracollagen treatment. Just a tad bit straighter than usual. I still see a few kinks here and there. The demarcation between the previously rebonded part and the new growth is still there, though not as noticeable. 

What I don't like is that, like in the first video, it made my hair super dry. I can't run my hands through my hair. I can't run my brush through my hair. The only thing I can use on my hair is a wide-toothed comb. 

Now I'm not sure if this dryness is permanent. Or if this is only because I didn't use that recommended detangler. Or if it's because the shampoo I used was drying and my hair is really just this unmanageable without conditioner. Maybe it's my hair. Maybe the product is just poorly designed? It's probably effective. IDK. The only way to know is to find out after washing it 2 or 3 days from now. 

IDK. I don't think I won't be washing my hair for 3 days. I'll probably set an alarm for 48 hours. I can't stand dry hair. Dry hair makes me sad.

I'll be back in 48 hours. 

BACK.

Sorry it took me longer than promised. It's daaaay... 4(?) since the hair treatment. Let me make it up to you by doing a Day by Day review.

Day 0 - Day that I applied the product. Hair was nice because it was flat ironed. 

Day 1 - Hair was oily, which was normal after not shampooing for 24 hours. Hair was still straight and shiny. 

Day 2 - I couldn't bear all the oiliness and the chemical smell. So as soon as the 48 hours lapsed, I shampooed my hair. I used the SNAZZY hair mask that came with the package. It was a revelation. It made my hair super smooth and glossy, I'm ordering some for special days. Might review in the coming weeks.

Day 3 - Yesterday. The day of reckoning. I used my regular conditioner, Keratin Plus Gold, which was usually hydrating enough. It hydrated and smoothed my hair, but not as nicely as SNAZZY. Nonetheless, my hair was still nice and smooth. 

Day 4 - Todayyy. Hair is still nicer than usual. Way nicer than usual. My hair is usually dry and poofy at the demarcation between the rebonded part and the regrowth. There's still some kinks, which were there BECAUSE ICURE KERACOLLAGEN BLOWOUT WAS SO HARD TO APPLY EVENLY BECAUSE YOU CAN'T SEE ANYTHING WHEN YOU APPLY IT AND A LOT OF JUST SPILLS BECAUSE IT'S TOO RUNNY. 

Sorry. I just had to release my pent up frustration. So it's generally an EFFECTIVE product. But it fails at some important points. I guess the remedy is to either use 2-3 packs just to be sure that all strands are covered to make up for the unavoidable spillage OR write ICURE a letter and tell them that they have an awesome product that needs to be improved.

So there. If you're looking for a cost-effective alternative to rebonding or keratin straightening, this is a good product to try. I've seen reviews and other people seem to be satisfied that they use this monthly. I'm still waiting to see how long this smoothness lasts.

Nonetheless, I'm still giving it 5 stars out of 5. I was expecting it won't work, but it did. I'll just apply it more systematically next time. I'll update this when I do. 

~UPDATE~

It's now January 7th - 3 weeks after trying ICure KeraCollagen Blowout. My hair is back to how it was. It's been this way for maybe 10 days now. Making it roughly less than two weeks of straightened, tamer hair from the procedure.

I'm not too keen on repeating the procedure. The inconvenience of application and days of no wash don't seem to be worth the few days of good hair. I stay mostly at home though, so I'm not really all that interested in keeping my hair pretty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment