Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Theodore's Dust Mite Spray Review

People don't realize how much allergies can ruin a face.

First, allergic shiners. These are commonly called eye bags. People who suffer from allergies have congested sinuses which lead to congestion in the veins under the eyes. This leads to puffiness, dark circles, and irritation of the skin around the eyes.

Second, lymphedema. It's hard to tell which comes first, poor lymph drainage or allergies. It's a chicken and egg scenario. But it's also possible that neither causes the other because something else entirely causes both. Nonetheless, it's common for allergy sufferers to have swollen, puffy faces. 

Third, sneezing wrinkles. Try to recreate a mid-sneeze. See which parts of your face are crumpled? Those parts - the eyes, the nose, the sides of the mouth, the forehead, basically your entire face, keeps a record of those lines which by your 30s or 40s starts to develop into full-fledged wrinkles. 

Fourth, blemishes. There's a correlation between allergies and poor skin. People with allergies often have skin asthma and other skin issues. 

Fifth, and most importantly, mouth breathing which causes the face to lengthen and drag the features down. This deserves an entire blog post on its own, so suffice it to say that when you have a chronically clogged nose, you breathe through your mouth, and when your mouth is chronically open even the slightest bit, the foundations of your face (your bones, your muscles, and then the soft parts like collagen, etc.) lose their tone and you end up with a saggy, downturned, lengthened face. 

Allergies.

In my early 20s, when beauty was the be-all and end-all of my existence, I took anti-histamines daily like they were vitamin supplements. I didn't care if it destroyed my kidneys or liver or whatever, all I cared about was not having to breathe through my mouth, and just being able to not sneeze all day, and not have to wear concealer everyday. 

As I got older, I started to worry about actually dying from kidney and liver issues more than wrinkles and eye bags and sneezing. I didn't want to die a slow, expensive death from internal organ issues. So I started to look for ways to deal with my allergens without taking oral medications. 

It was rather difficult because I was allergic to basically everything. I had a patch test done, and it turned out I was allergic to pollen, to cats and dogs, to grass, to cockroach, and like what I've always known by intuition, to dust. Not dust per se, but the mites that live in dust. Dogs, cats, plants, and pests, I can avoid or move away from, but dust? There is no place on earth that does not have dust. 

Luckily, there are ways to minimize dust. I clean and clean and clean and clean like my life depended on it - because the quality of my life depends on the cleanliness of my environment. But just to be sure, I also spray Theodore's Dust Mite Spray.

I've kept a bottle since 2015. I spray it on the bed, on the couch, on sofas, on car seats, on curtains, on soft surfaces and hard surfaces.

Now I have no microscope to check if dust mites do die upon contact. I just know that after a good, thorough house cleaning, and obsessive spraying of Theodore's I do not sneeze for a few weeks.

What's inside Theodore's Dust Mite Spray?

  • distilled water
  • sugar cane alcohol
  • eucalyptus
  • lemon
  • lavender
  • tea tree
  • peppermint essential oils
In theory, this is supposed to smell divine. I do not know why it smells like neem oil. To those who have no idea what neem oil smells like, it smells like tea leaves with a hint of rubber. The label says it's going to make your home smell heavenly. I don't know what heaven's supposed to smell like, but I'm sure it doesn't smell like neem oil. 

The scent though, does not last for very long. Or at least you nose gets used to it that you forget it's there after a few minutes.

What I like about it is that despite the presence of essential oils, it does not make surfaces feel sticky. It somehow evaporates and just leaves surfaces sanitized. 

I can't vouch for this being effective against COVID-19, or any virus for that matter, I still use regular 70% alcohol, but in surfaces that come into contact with my nose that could trigger a nasty bout of sneezing, this is a good enough sanitizer for me. 

Bottomline

This is a product that I can live without, but I choose not to. Not only for its actual value as a sanitizer/deodorizer/dust mite spray, but for the psychological benefits of knowing that tiny dust mites that exist only to ruin my life are dying microscopically horrific deaths.

It's quite expensive at P450 per 500 mL, so I try to use it at a minimum. Recommend? Yeah, maybe. Only to people whose faces I know are ruined by allergies. But then you know, when I try to tell people about how horrible allergies are, they look at me like I'm claiming the earth is flat. So I mostly just let people get ugly from allergies, and keep this wonder product a secret.

Five stars out of five though. 

PS the spray contraption thing could be improved. I've had bottles leak during dust mite massacres.

WHERE TO BUY

As of 2022, the prices have gone up a bit. But you can get a 1 L refill for P650 at this store click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment