Friday, October 23, 2020

Miss Universe Philippines 2020 Winners


Miss Universe Philippines Winners. Pia Wurtzbach, Catriona Gray, Gazini Ganados, Rabiya Mateo, Bella Ysmael, Michelle Gumabao, Pauline Amelinckx, Billie Hackenson.


So they're filming the finale today and broadcasting it on local TV on Sunday. 2 days is quite a long wait. And we all know that at some point between today and Sunday, some killjoy will spill the results.

I am trying my hardest to not make an effort to know, but if the information randomly passes by my social media feed, then sorry, MUP Org. It's really not the wisest to delay broadcast by 2 freakin days. I mean, I know you're trying to capitalize on the excitement and all, but this is blatant torture.

I read/heard somewhere that there's a surprise twist waiting on Finals Night. Which could be that they filmed the finale today, but they kept the final winner announcement on Sunday. So we might be seeing a live broadcast on Sunday with two candidates holding hands and waiting for the announcement with us. That would be quite a pleasant surprise.

Before my predictions, which is really what this whole thing was originally about, I would like to commend the new organization for pulling off an amazing string of events during a pandemic. They took a risk (and my, one frontrunner became a casualty, but I guess that's inevitable.) I wish BBP would do the same, but I understand their apprehensions. Miss Earth Philippines did an ok job, given the limitations during their stint. But MUP, thank heavens, had the audacity courage to go do what they got to do. I envy Thailand and most other countries for staging such grand shows, but I guess they made better decisions in handling COVID-19, so they deserve their amazing performances. 

Okay. Now for the predictions.

I'd go right ahead with Bella Ysmael. She wasn't my cup of tea in the beginning. Her claim to the crown was being Miss Universe 1973 Margie Moran's niece. Margie was a clear winner during her international stint, and I wasn't feeling that same vibe from Bella. She's pretty alright, but she was bland and seemed uptight. So I wasn't exactly rooting for her. But girl, did she surprise everyone during the Runway Challenge. She's a ballerina and the grace, the posture, the elegance showed on the runway. She walked and turned as if she was floating on a cloud. Bashers made a big deal about her teeth/veneers, which were truly distracting if you hate her. I found myself enchanted, and was absolutely drawn to her intimidating yet calming presence. She reminds me of a tigress, for some inane reason. I also love her face and queenly aura - she simply can't be more elegant. She's also intelligent and eloquent, and did not answer pageant questions in a rehearsed, pageant patty way. Her preliminary interview showed she's in it to win. I wouldn't mind if she bags the crown. I absolutely see her walking down the runway alongside Latinas on the Miss Universe stage. 

There are only two girls who could steal the crown from Bella. One of them is the popular athlete Michelle Gumabao. I'm also not her biggest fan. She was from Catriona Gray's batch in BBP, and back then I didn't understand what the hype was about. Sure, Michelle is 5'10, and that's an easy way to stand out in Miss Universe. Sure, she's popular and has quite a following on social media. Sure, she's smart and answers well. I just felt that she's not strikingly beautiful enough to compete internationally. She's pretty when seen on the volleyball court, but alongside fellow pageant candidates, Michelle's beauty pales in comparison. Bashers say it's the body type, she's an athlete so she's more muscular than the average beauty queen. There's also something about her aura that feels... heavy, and I swear it has nothing to do with her weight. It's probably her competitiveness, which can sometimes come off as subtle aggressiveness? She compensates for it by being friendly, or by being a team player in sports speak. 

Nonetheless, I still see Michelle as a strong frontrunner. I think her performance during the preliminary interview sealed her position as the one to beat. If the MUP's format is scores go back to zero at the final 5 (or 3 or 2), and Michelle makes it that far, Michelle is sure to win. My only apprehension is that, on the Miss Universe stage, Michelle will have to prove herself FIRST at the swimsuit and evening gown portions. Heck, she has to sell herself as soon as she sets foot in NY (or wherever the location is this year.) Which means, she needs to prove herself first via social media posts and pre-event media coverage, and to do that she needs to work on her charisma/fashion sense/walk/confidence in her body type. Catriona went through similar challenges, but Catriona is a universal beauty and was already modelling for years. Michelle will have to work harder to prove herself. If, by chance, MU 2020 becomes an online event like MEP 2020 (heavens, please no!!!), Michelle has an advantage. Her beauty, for some reason, translates well on cellphone and web cameras. I have not seen her in person, but I have a feeling Michelle is gorgeous irl. 

To complete my top three, I'll have Bohol's Pauline Amelinckx. I remember how excited people were for Gazini to win last year. They say her name is already a brand. Ms. Amelinckx has an easy recall and an interestingly relevant ring to it (#Morenax #Filipinx) and I'm excited for fans from other nationalities to make #Amelinckx trend. Pauline is an early favorite of mine. Though honestly I wish she'd joined BBP instead as Miss International is the perfect organization for her. She has the right type of beauty, the charming shyness, the unassuming simplicity of her aura. I felt also that she might break under pressure because she reminds me a bit of Vicky Rushton in that while she is a clear winner face-wise, her personality like Vicky's, seemed too kind, too innocent, too breakable for a cut throat competition like Miss Universe. 

Behold Bohol. I was elated when I saw Pauline's preliminary interview. Not only can she talk, she can talk with conviction. And among my top three, I feel that Pauline's way of answering questions is the most sincere and most genuine. While Michelle gives the best answers, her way of answering can sometimes sound aggressive, rehearsed and... heavy? I don't know. It leaves you impressed, but like, you want the interview to be over with, because it feels like an interview for a top executive position. It was too business-like. Which doesn't have to be a bad thing, just a matter of taste. Bella, in comparison, was conversational. She's elegant and classy, but not snooty. She was enjoyable to watch and a pleasure to listen to. However, Bella's answers were always about herself, even when she was asked about her community and a local tourist spot. Something that can change maybe after a few years working with charitable organizations? She's young and possibly sheltered, so it's forgivable and can be endearing so. Pauline, though. Pauline's answers were not as thorough and specific as Michelle's, but they were succinct, sincere, and moving without being pageant patty-like. She also has a bit of Bella's charm and enigma. 

Interestingly, Bella and Pauline look like sisters. Bella is Pauline's fierce, fashion-forward, self-assured version. Pauline is Bella's pragmatic, softer, cuter version. Which, in an alternate universe, would make them perfect as Miss Universe Philippines (Bella) and Miss International Philippines (Pauline) which gives me an idea: what if we let Michelle Gumabao win MUP this year, and then next year send Bella to Miss Universe and Pauline to Miss International? I feel like 2021 with them as the Philippine representatives would be a winning strategy. We have a strong chance with Michelle if Miss Universe will indeed be virtual. I am, of course, just imagining alternate universes.

To complete my top 10, in no particular order:

Biliran's Skelly Ivy Florida. Girl is an absolute high-fashion gem. With the right marketing team (Paolo Ballesteros), girl can hoard international fans. I mean, who would have expected her to win over Gumabao in a popularity contest, without a marketing team at that? Skelly is young though, and she'll benefit from a few more years of life experiences for Q&A. I worry though that Skelly's beauty may be age-bound. Her youth and freshness might be the basis of her sudden popularity. I am unsure of how things would go for Skelly in the next few years. If only she can may be condense 5 years worth of maturity in a year so she can rejoin next year stronger. 

Davao City's Alaiza Malinao. I took notice of Alaiza during Catriona's reign. She was said to be Catriona's team's new project. I saw the Angelina Jolie-Barbie-multiracial yet ethnic vibe they were pushing, but I still remain unconvinced of Alaiza's strengths. She poses astoundingly well, but can be uninteresting in motion. I feel like brighter make up can help increase her chances of winning. Dark, thick brows on dusky skin can look harsh. And I feel like Alaiza needs to show more of her Angelina Jolie-at-her-peak side. She should also showcase her amazing body during the competition. Her Q&As leave much to be desired. Makes me feel like this isn't the year for her. 

Iloilo's Rabiya Mateo. She keeps getting called The Dark Horse, and her fans/marketing team keep correcting people and saying she's The Frontrunner. I am not for nor against Rabiya. She has pictures that make me go wow. But then she also has pictures that make me doubt her chances. Q&As could be improved. Miss World suits her better. 

Aklan's Christelle Abello. Beauty 9. Body 10. Q&A 9. Charisma 10. Effort 10. Why is she not a frontrunner? I'm not sure, to be honest. I see her though as Supranational or Intercontinental or Earth material. 

Cavite's Kimberly Hakenson. There are two girls this batch with short hair and it was the other girl that I noticed in the beginning. Short hair is notice-me hair in pageantry, and you'd need a ton of confidence to pull that off. We'am, the other girl, did alright in the beginning, but somehow fizzled out mid-competition. Kimberly started proving herself to be the stronger notice-me girl by showing substance. I wouldn't mind if Kimberly wins the title. I feel like she also stands a chance in the Miss Universe arena. I honestly haven't seen her walk yet so.

Taguig's Sandra Lemonon. She reminds me of Miss Universe Albania 2018 (Catriona's reign), she is not likely to win MU, but she's going to get noticed for sure. Sandra is gorgeous and offensively hot (a pageant page called her out for being too hot lol) and during BBP 2018, she was a strong frontrunner. I am unsure why Sandra seemed to have thrown in the towel this year and decided to just have fun. Or she's probably enjoying the experience too much that she forgot she's in a cut-throat competition. If she were competing in a Latin country, she'd easily win. But she's in the PH, were pageant fans care more about advocacies and rehearsed answers. Right girl, wrong country. Or hey, actually, she might be a perfect fit for Miss Grand. Nawat would love her bubbly personality and offensive hotness.

Cebu's Apriel Smith. I've come across her name several times in recent years and have only seen photos. I wasn't sure why people were clamoring for her to join MUP. Probably has to do with the Black Girl Magic movement. Unfortunately though, Skelly is this year's poster girl for Black Girl Magic. 

So there's my top 3 and top 10. Competition must be over by the time this gets posted. I will be updating as soon as I get information. Hopefully that's prior to Sunday's airing, but that's illegal I think so let's all sit and wait. Do be nice and comment if you already know who won though. LOL

ALLEGED LEAKS

Who else saw videographic evidence of the last 5? Apparently it's Ms. Iloilo Rabiya Mateo, Ms. Paranaque Bella Ysmael, Ms. Bohol Pauline Amelinckx, Ms. Quezon City Michelle Gumabao, and Miss Cavite Billie Hakenson!

I am only 90% convinced that they are the women in the blurry video "leak", but heck if they're the real final 5, then I'm sleeping well tonight. I mean, what can be a better top 5? In the beginning of the pageant, I was sure Ms. Davao Alaiza Malinao already has a sure spot at the finals, maybe even at the final 2. But looking at the "final 5" now, none of them can be called the weakest and most replaceable. The top 5 is perfect.

There's rumors that it's Rabiya who won. Rumors that Michelle won. I haven't seen one social media post about Pauline or Bella. But while Miss Hakenson is not the weakest, I realized I'd be most surprised if she was indeed the winner. 

Considering her lack of marketing machinery, strong fan base, and pageant strings to pull, she proved herself worthy of the crown. Smart move for the MUP org too for choosing someone who would stand out on the Miss Universe stage for her hair and androgynous aura. She's going to make some noise being a member of the LGBTQ as well. And if there's anything that the MUP needs right now, it's noise. But again, I have no solid proof that it is indeed Miss Hakenson who won. 

I'm a little sad for Bella and Pauline, but again, imagine having them as the Philippine representatives for Miss Universe 2021 and Miss International 2021! I'm not complaining though if one of them actually won this year. We'll all find out tomorrow. Or later, let's wait for more leaks. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment