Thursday, April 13, 2023

Thai Beauty Soaps - a Review



I think it was back in 2015/2016 when beauty products from Thailand started becoming popular in the Philippines. Maybe it came with the import of Thai movies and the popularity of their beauty queens. Before that, only the US, Japan, Taiwan, and Hong Kong were popular beauty soap exporters to the Philippines.

It was also probably the aggressive marketing of beauty products with snail extracts. It appealed to me because it part grossed and part intrigued me. My first purchase was snail soaps in 2016.

I wasn't expecting much, if anything, I was convinced it's all just a fad. So I was pleasantly surprised when snail soaps starting working nicely on my problematic skin. It's moisturizing and yet does not leave a greasy film like cream cleansers usually do.

Another popular Thai beauty soap is the rice milk soap. This soap is made with rice milk, which is known for its brightening and moisturizing properties. The soap also contains natural extracts of herbs such as tamarind and turmeric, which help to exfoliate dead skin cells and leave the skin looking radiant and healthy.

Papaya soap is also from Thailand. Papaya is a well-known natural skin exfoliant that helps to remove dead skin cells and reveal brighter, smoother skin. The soap also contains other natural ingredients, such as coconut oil and vitamin E, which nourish and moisturize the skin, leaving it feeling soft and supple.

Apart from rice milk and papaya soaps, there are many other varieties of Thai beauty soaps, each with its unique set of benefits. For example, charcoal soap is known for its detoxifying properties and is excellent for removing impurities from the skin. Lemongrass soap is ideal for oily skin, as it helps to control oil production and prevent breakouts. There's also a dizzying range of soaps from Radish to Milk Pearl to "Vampire" to Alpha Arbutin to Vitamin E (avoid this brand because there's just so many fake ones!)

My favorite is tofu soap. Tofu soaps are originally from Japan, but the Thai ones are also good. They work really well in getting rid of blackheads and whiteheads and drying up active blemishes.

A bit of warning though. Thai people are known for being obsessed with opaque white skin. If Koreans are famous for glowing glass skin, the Japanese for paper white powdered skin, and Chinese for flawless supple skin, the Thai are obsessed with extreme white skin with their trademark opaqueness. If that's the look you're after, Thai soaps are the answer. As I grow older and my skin matures, I find myself going for that Korean glow, or that Chinese flawlessness. Every once in a while, I still purchase Thai beauty products, but as soon as I reach an uncomfortable level of opaqueness/flat-whiteness, I go back to my Korean staples.

Thai soaps costs around P40 for the smallest cuts on Shopee to P150 mall price for the ones in fancy boxes. As usual, beware of fake products, purchase only from your trusted sellers or in your nearest drugstores.

No comments:

Post a Comment